A few weeks back I published a blog post filled with inspirational quotes on leadership and self-development. As that post was so well received, I decided to write a similar post with nature quotes I find perhaps even more inspiring than the first list.
At Lightbox Leadership we fully believe before you can lead others you must first effectively lead yourself. Self-leadership extends far beyond the walls of your office and scope of professional responsibility. You are the foundation for which all other relationships and responsibilities are built. Securing and supporting this foundation is vital to the success of all life’s ventures.
For me, being connected with nature is my way of clearing all the extra noise that rattles around in my mind, connecting back to my center and solidifying ideas that support what is truly important in the present moment.
I encourage you to connect with nature regularly. Similar to the morning routine, it is essential that you disconnect from technology in order to connect to yourself and nature.
While all of the quotes can be inspirational to anyone, I have placed them under headings as a slight suggestion for consideration and application.
PERSONAL LEADERSHIP – Self-leadership in all aspects of life
- Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye — it also includes the inner pictures of the soul. – Edvard Munch
- Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. – Albert Einstein
- Climb up on some hill at sunrise. Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there. – Robb Sagendorph
EMERGING LEADER – Beginning to see and act beyond one’s self
- Everything in life is speaking in spite of it’s apparent silence. – Hazrat Inayat Khan
- I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. – Henry David Thoreau
- You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat. – Pierre Auguste Renoir
MANAGER – In the position of developing others
- Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.– Aldous Huxley
- What we call Man’s power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument. – C.S. Lewis
- The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do. – Galileo
TEAM – A group of individuals working together towards a common goal
- What is the purpose of the giant sequoia tree? The purpose of the giant sequoia tree is to provide shade for the tiny titmouse. – Edward Abbey
- One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. – William Shakespeare
EXECUTIVE – An individual with greater experience and responsibility
- May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. – Edward Abbey
- In nature we never see anything isolated, but everything in connection with something else which is before it, beside it, under it and over it. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE – A key skill used in developing self-leadership
- All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind. – Abraham Lincoln
- Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. – Abraham Lincoln
SUSTAINABILITY – On an individual or corporate level
- Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life! – John Muir
- Truly it may be said that the outside of a mountain is good for the inside of a man. – George Wherry
- There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer. – Calving Coolidge
As in my previous post, I recommend starting your own list of inspirational and transformative quotes to reflect on regularly. Make the list unique to who you are and where you are.