As a prelude to the New Year, we hope you enjoyed our series Beyond New Years Resolutions and SMART Goals.
Over the last month, we provided a set of exercises to help you create a plan that takes you beyond typical new years resolutions including: reflecting on the previous year, discovering your core values, creating a vision and testing your SMART goals.
The last post in our series focused on achieving success by discovering what could potentially derail you and methods to help stay on track. One of the most successful ways to ensure success is to collaborate with a leadership coach.
Optimize, expand and improve
“According to the ICF Global Consumer Awareness Study, people are turning to professional coaching to attain goals in their personal and professional lives. More than two-fifths (42.6 percent) of the study’s respondents who had experienced coaching chose “optimize individual and/or team performance” as their motivation for being coached. This reason ranked highest followed by “expand professional career opportunities” at 38.8 percent and “improve business management strategies” at 36.1 percent. The study also showed that coaching is being used to help people increase their self-esteem/self-confidence and manage work/life balance.” 
Partner towards success
The true value in working with a coach is having an objective partner who is committed to your success. Through coaching conversations, you work to develop an enlightened understanding and clarity of your goals, improve your self-awareness and develop tools and exercises to move forward. Below are ten ways working with a leadership coach can help ensure that you achieve your goals in 2012.
- Take you deeper into self-reflection to clarify your core values
- Walk you through vision exercises to map out the new year
- Define, refine and test your resolutions and goals to see if they are in line with your values
- Partner with you on your journey through the ups and downs
- Hold you accountable to your goals and actions
- Challenge and support you to take the next step
- Equip you with tools and resources to succeed
- Help you overcome obstacles and get out of your way
- Test your assumptions/beliefs/truths to see if they are serving you
- Find the deeper reasons why your resolutions are working or not working
Using a coach gives you the added edge and support to help you create the habits and lasting changes needed to reach and sustain your goals.
image courtesy: heat_fan1
 International Coaching Federation, “Achieve your life and career goals in 2011 with a professional coach ” (Word file), downloaded from http://www.coachfederation.org/works/, accessed January 2, 2012.